Wondering about medical marijuanas VA offers? You're in the right place!
Medical marijuana in Virginia is becoming increasingly accessible. As the rest of the country is beginning to recognize the therapeutic benefits of medical cannabis, Virginia is following with its own medical marijuana program.
In this article, we cover everything patients should know about medical marijuanas VA allows. We'll discuss Virginia medical card requirements, cost, reasons, and some of the most common questions about the topic.
Looking for a medical marijuanas card in VA? Contact us today to schedule an appointment for your certification now.
Virginia Medical Card Requirements
Curious about the medical marijuana card requirements VA has in place? Here's everything you need to know in 2022:
First, you'll need to obtain a recommendation from a Virginia licensed physician. This is something we at CannabisRxHealth can help you get with ease. We make the process as straightforward as possible!
- You'll need to have a diagnosis for a medical condition that could benefit from medical cannabis treatment.
- Then, you'll get your medical marijuana certification.
- You'll also need to have proof of Virginia residency. A current Virginia Driver's License or State ID card will work for this purpose.
While any condition or symptom could qualify a patient for medical marijuanas in VA, here are some of the most common conditions that medical marijuana treatment might help:
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Cachexia & Wasting Syndrome
- Chronic Pain
- Crohn's Disease
- Epilepsy & Other Seizure Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson's Disease
- Seizure Disorders
- Terminal Illness with a Prognosis of Less than 12 months if unresponsive to conventional treatment
Virginia Medical Marijuanas Card Cost
The prices of a Virginia medical marijuana card can range. This price for a medical marijuanas card depends on whether or not you qualify for financial assistance. The fee will also depend upon the physician's cost and the renewal date.
As of 2022, it costs $199 to apply for a VA medical marijuana card certification. Then, there's an annual $159 renewal cost.
More on Reasons for Medical Marijuanas Card VA
The medical marijuanas VA permits are unlike many state programs. Virginia only allows doses to contain up to 10 mg of THC. A dose is a single unit, such as a dropper-full or a capsule. It's also considered the total amount one should take for a dose. However, the state does not have a limit on the dosage.
Here are some more reasons to obtain a medical marijuanas card in Virginia:
- Edible products are allowed. Virginia allows edible infusions. Thus, if you're looking for foods and beverages that contain your dose of cannabinoids, you'll need a medical marijuana card in VA to make your purchases.
- Virginia offers limited employment protections for registered medical marijuana patients. This law change became effective on July 1, 2021. With this alteration, employers cannot discriminate against employees for lawful medical cannabis utilization with valid written certification from a licensed practitioner if it's for treatment or therapeutic purposes.
- You do not have to give up your legally obtained firearms. According to NORML, the ATF and Justices of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals have concluded that those who are an "unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance" cannot purchase firearms. However, currently, no states are sharing medical cannabis patient data. If the patient responds "yes" to the question about their cannabis use during the NICS background check, this could be problematic. However, there's no way to enforce this outdated law without this answer. In addition to this, after the passage of Rohrabacher-Farr, the DOJ is not allowed to utilize federal funding to prosecute medical marijuana patients engaged in a state-sanctioned activity. Simply put, you should not have to give up your legally obtained firearms.
Medical Marijuanas VA FAQ
How much is a medical marijuanas card in VA?
Patients holding a medical marijuanas card in Virginia must pay an annual medical cannabis card registration fee of $159. After obtaining a physician's recommendation, this fee is paid to the Virginia Board of Pharmacy.
Can I go to a dispensary without a card in Virginia?
Medical marijuana cardholders in Virginia can obtain their medical marijuana products at any dispensary in this state. Since most patients are within the range of delivery for a minimum of one dispensary location, medical cannabis deliveries are becoming increasingly common – especially with the pandemic waging on!
At this point, dispensaries do not allow consumers to come in without a card. However, this could soon change – as soon as 2024!
Does Virginia have recreational dispensaries?
While Virginia has legalized recreational marijuana consumption, there's still a long way to go before it begins operating recreational dispensaries. However, we expect adult consumer access to become commonplace in the state eventually.
Closing on Medical Marijuanas VA
Since medical marijuana is legal in VA, it makes sense to get your card through the state's program. Medical marijuanas VA is becoming increasingly popular as an alternative treatment for various ailments. According to anecdotal evidence, there's been quite a bit of success using cannabinoids as an option, particularly for illnesses resistant to traditional treatment options.
Looking for assistance obtaining medical marijuanas VA allows? CannabisRxHealth is here to help!
Contact us now to schedule your consultation with one of our licensed physicians. We'll help you every step of the way!